Labels

Friday 12 January 2018

Sourcing Images for Magazine DPS

NOTE: my PEER assessment only remarked that I should put in my own opinion, which felt I did since this is a movie review. Apart from that I wasn’t given much constructive criticism to work off of.Thus, I have no been able to base much else off of my critiques when it comes to my magazine. 
However, after looking over the assignment brief, I needed to include original photos, and I decided to remove text in favor of an author’s photo and description, as seen below.


Because I completed this double page spread for my magazine, I was unable to screenshot progress (now available); however, I can explain the origin of images and their use, source them as well as explaining the why of things when it comes to page layout and design. Source: http://filmmakermagazine.com/88485-the-sound-of-helicopters-in-apocalypse-now/  


The background image of helicopters with a burning sun is perhaps the most iconic imagery to come out of Apocalypse Now, as it has remained culturally relevant. Below is an example of the cultural significance of the image:


May 1, 2010 cover of the Economist newspaper, illustrating the 2010 European sovereign debt crisis with imagery from the movie, attests to the film's pervasive cultural impact. The image was a must have as it connotes the movie and Vietnam setting/location. As for how I prepared and prep the image, I made sure it was cropped and sized appropriately using Photoshop tools, enabling it to take up half of the top page.


The original image serves as the author’s photo (myself) and below is text detailing the author themselves, the background with books connoting me being smart because I'm suppose to be a reviewer and their suppose to be smart. The rest of the body of text takes up the page. Unfortunately I couldn’t apply a pull quote due to the tight space. The need for an original photo diminished the amount of text as originally shown here. I resized the image in Photoshop to be appropriately small in order to fit in with the rest of the text neatly, having already had to remove some text in order to make it fit.

Other images I happened upon, but ended up not using include the following:



Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/the-new-apocalypse-now-game-will-be-survival-horror-w462797

The reason I objected to the use of this particular image as a background for my DPS was because I wanted the title text to be separate so I could have more freedom to move around and customize the landscape. 


Source: http://rubinmuseum.org/events/event/sound-apocalypse-now-07-07-2017 

Another potential background for the article. I was tempted by it but found a far more clearer and focused image of the iconic helicopters plain across a rising sun.


Source: a profile pic of my original making, taken by a friend. It was one of the pictures to use for the author picture, but opted for an alternative close-up, more clear cut and visible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment